The dredging pipe stock yard near Kannenghatt temple at Edakochi caught fire on Thursday afternoon. Though no casualty was reported, the incident has caused an estimated loss of Rs. 2.5 crore, an official from the dredging company ABC and Sons Private Limited said.
The Fire and Rescue units from Mattancherry, Thrikkakkara, Thripunithura, Gandhinagar and Cherthala arrived to extinguish the fire. It took over three hours to bring the situation under control.
Fumes billowed out of the yard which was built in the land leased from the temple. The pipes for dredging in the West Kochi region were kept in the yard. Panic prevailed in the region as the fire spread quickly, said residents. Over 300 synthetic pipes were charred in the mishap.