THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The condition of two hyenas in the city zoo is improving, according to zoo authorities. Two hyenas, a 14-year-old male Rahul and its seven-year-cub, were recently subjected to video endoscopy following suspicion of entry of indigestible foreign materials into their digestive tract.
Parts of a plastic hose were found out from Rahul’s stomach, raising serious question about the safety of animals in the city zoo. The cub is suffering from megaoesophagus, a condition of enlarged oesophagus. Both were in critical condition.
In the case of megaoesophagus, the enlarged oesophagus will not push the food down to the stomach.
Therefore, the food fails to enter the stomach and often stays in the oesophagus, and is eventually regurgitated, or enters the lungs through breathing, or decays in the oesophagus.
Following the euthanasia of jackals due to virus infection, the disease of hyenas had landed the zoo authorities in troubled waters. Plastic was recovered from the stomach of a female hyena which died weeks ago. Post-mortem report of the hyena had confirmed plastic intake as the cause of the death.
Though zoo is a plastic-free zone, there is no restriction on the use of plastic on the Museum premises.
Zoo authorities are mum on the survival chance of the hyenas. Only two hyenas remain in the zoo. The hyenas have bleeding ulcers. One has kidney problems too.
Recently, all jackals in the city zoo were subjected to euthanasia after they were infected with canine distemper virus.
The virus infection was spread through stray dogs. Stray dog menace and plastic pose a big threat to zoo animals.