Twenty-seven headload workers in the Technopark Phase II were suspended from service following complaints of demanding ‘nokkukooli’ from one of the private contractors engaged in the construction of boundary walls for companies functioning there. Following a complaint from the private contractor, District Labour Officer has asked the chairman of the District Headload Workers Welfare Board to initiate action against them.
According to sources in the Headload Workers Welfare Board, all the headload workers suspended were affiliated to the INTUC.
However, speaking to ‘Express’, INTUC district president V R Prathapan said that the private contractor was bringing his own workers to unload the concrete blocks made on the Technopark premises.
For unloading the cement blocks, the workers had to be paid 80 paise per block. If allowed to unload the blocks, the workers would have got Rs 3.5 lakh.
Therefore, the contractor decided to make the concrete blocks on the Technopark premises using his workers and used them for loading and unloading works.
But, when the INTUC workers demanded Rs 1.5 lakh as compensation, the contractor offered to pay only Rs 50,000. When they insisted on paying more, he said that he would think about it and let them know the decision by Friday, Prathapan said.
Prathapan said that instead of holding talks, the contractor filed a complaint with the Labour Department.Local CITU leader in Technopark V Sambasivan said that two buildings had been completed in the Phase Two and the INTUC workers were the ones engaged in the loading and unloading activities there.