STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Thiruvananthapuram Collector's Promise on Operation Anantha

All works of emergency nature to be completed before Onam and rest carried forward through the tender process, says Biju Prabhakar.

Published: 12th August 2015 02:35 AM  |   Last Updated: 12th August 2015 02:35 AM   |  A+A-

THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: Admitting that fund crunch has badly hit ‘Operation Anantha’, District Collector Biju Prabhakar has said that all works of emergency nature would be completed before Onam and rest will be carried forward through the tender process.

Recently, Urban Affairs Minister Manjalamkuzhi Ali told the Assembly that all the flood mitigation programmes were ‘monsoon-related’, whereas the Collector has now clearly pinpointed to the scarcity of funds.

“The District Collector can give the approval for works up to Rs 25 lakh and it is up to the State Disaster Management Authority to sanction funds for those works which are higher. A three-member cabinet sub-committee has been constituted for the overall monitoring. At every level, works can be carried out after it is accorded technical sanction and permission,” the Collector said in a statement released here on Tuesday related to ‘Operation Anantha’.

It was on May 1 this year that the district administration launched the flood mitigation drive on a war-footing which was later christened ‘Operation Anantha’. The deadline set was May 31, but unexpected hurdles kept delaying the project. This resulted in bad roads and uncovered pits dug up for canal-making. Retrieval of the natural flood water channels and hastening the water flow was the intention of the drive, for which encroachments over the canals were evacuated and a sketch dating back to the 1930s was retrieved. 

While problems still persist, the district administration has been unable to reach a solution relating to the canal passing through the Thiruvananthapuram Central railway station. Flood water from Museum Observatory, Pulimoodu, Thycaud and Vazhuthacaud areas converge at Thampanoor. The canal to accommodate water from this area passes underneath the tracks and platform at the railway station. There is a need to clean and widen the canal, which lie in the hands of Railways.

The next step to be taken was to scientifically construct canals which have been restored from encroachments. This has been sanctioned Rs 22 crore. 

According to sources, in order to prevent flooding of water at Thampanoor, the only option left was to either delay the flow of water or deviate it through some other route. If water tanks are constructed in front of the Secretariat and other government offices on the Secretariat-Thycaud stretch, 40 per cent of the flooding could be avoided. Scientifically rerouting water from Ayurveda College side via Pattoor and Vanchiyoor and water from Thycaud-Vazhuthacaud areas to Killiyar would sort the remaining 60 per cent.

The Collector has demanded that the public should stay patient and promised them an effective solution.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

IPL_2020
flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp