MUMBAI: Investigators, who had pinned hopes on a CCTV footage for evidence in their probe into the assault case against Saif Ali Khan, were left disappointed with police saying today no video cameras were installed in the area where the brawl took place at a luxury hotel.
The 41-year-old Bollywood star, who has been booked for assaulting an NRI businessman Iqbal Sharma at a restaurant in Taj hotel following a complaint, meanwhile said the midnight brawl on Tuesday night is not a "publicity stunt" and that he felt sorry for what had happened.
"Though Saif and his lawyer have been claiming the complainant Iqbal Sharma made provocative statements or rather used abusive language against women with the actor and this led to the ruckus, there were no CCTVs installed at the place where the actor had allegedly punched the complaint on the nose," said an investigating officer at Colaba police station.
"We could have made a strong case if we would have had the footage showing Saif hitting the complainant," the officer added.
Khan was last night arrested and released by police on bail after being charged with assaulting the Indian origin South African national Sharma, who protested the raucous chatter of the actor and his friends at 'Wasabi' restaurant.
So far, statements of eight persons have been recorded in which except Sharma and his family members, nobody else had come forward to say that the actor had bashed up the victim, police sources said.
"I was hit first. And as shocking as it may seem, the elderly gentleman hit me. I'm not sure what provoked him. I was only defending myself. I don't think any gentleman would have behaved any differently than what I did. I am confident that justice will be done. I think they (police) have the CCTV footage from the restaurant and that will prove everything," Saif said last night. Saif also filed a counter-complaint with the police.
Speaking to reporters at an event in suburban Bandra, Saif said the incident was not a publicity stunt for his forthcoming film 'Agent Vinod'.
"This is not a publicity stunt (for the film). I hope this matter gets sorted out soon," he said.