STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Odisha MLA’s abductors jack up their demand

The Maoists holding Jhina Hikaka demanded release of five more people from Odisha jails in order to secure his release.

Published: 08th April 2012 12:22 AM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2012 10:27 PM   |  A+A-

maoist_talks_PTI

PTI photo

BHUBANESWAR: Extending their deadline to Tuesday, the Maoists holding Biju Janata Dal legislator Jhina Hikaka Saturday demanded unconditional release of five more people from Odisha jails in order to secure his release. The government said it was ready to address the demands of another group of Maoists holding an Italian as hostage.

The chances of Italian tour operator Bosusco Paolo's release brightened as the government said it had come into some agreement with the rebels' backed mediators.

The response from the abductors of the legislator came two days after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced the names of 27 people, including eight Maoists, to be released in exchange for the lawmaker and the Italian.

'Jagabandhu', who claimed himself as a leader of the Andhra-Odisha border special zonal committee, in an audio message to some journalists said the government must release five more people in addition to the 27.

The rebel leader also named the people to be released unconditionally by the government. "We have extended the deadline to April 10. If they are not released the government will see our next step," he said.

The rebels, who abducted Hikaka from Koraput district March 24, had earlier set a Saturday evening deadline for the government to decide on their demands.

The rebel leader also added that the health of the legislator was good and "will remain good until April 10".

Italian Paolo has been held hostage since March 14 by another group of rebels.

The group, led by Sabyasachi Panda, had earlier threatened to take an "extreme step" if the government did not release more people by Tuesday. Panda had made the announcement Friday in an audio message which was aired by some local television channels.

Home Secretary U.N. Behera said that to secure the release of Paolo the government had come into some agreement with the rebels' backed mediators on the various issues raised by the Maoists.

The government also announced to facilitate the release of five of the total six people the rebels had named, Behera told IANS.

He also said that the rebels' backed mediators and the officials represented by the government had jointly appealed to the Maoists to release the Italian.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp