STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Ramdev case: Cops to act against erring officers

Delhi Police said disciplinary action will be taken against its forces and yoga guru’s supporters in view of SC order.

Published: 23rd February 2012 09:37 PM  |   Last Updated: 16th May 2012 06:01 PM   |  A+A-

Baba-Ramdev

PTI File Photo

NEW DELHI: Delhi Police Thursday said that disciplinary action would be taken against its erring officers as well as Baba Ramdev's supporters in view of the Supreme Court's direction over the action against the yoga guru and his supporters at the Ramlila ground here last June.

"Any order passed by the Supreme Court will be followed," said Delhi Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta.

The court slammed police for acting in an arbitrary manner and using excessive force in dispersing Baba Ramdev and his followers from the Ramlila ground and pulled up the yoga guru for not cooperating with police.

The court said what happened at the sprawling ground on the night of June 4-5, 2011, leading to the death of a woman, was a demonstration of the might of the state.

Gupta, citing the court order, said that Baba Ramdev followers had violated the law.

"No order of lathi charge was given. Some individuals, from public and police, who had used bricks and canes during the agitation, would be punished. Regarding these, some cases have already been registered in central Delhi's Kamla Market police station," said Gupta.

Citing the court order, he said they were given 90 days to submit a report against those who did not act as per the norms and those who destroyed public property.

Cases against both, police and public, will be registered after the inquiry, Gupta said.

"Legal action will be taken against those who destroyed public property while departmental inquiry will be initiated against those who broke the norms," added Gupta.

Gupta said the court asked the central government and the Bharat Swabhiman Trust, belonging to the yoga guru, to contribute to the compensation for the victims.

"The central government has to pay 75 percent while the remaining 25 percent of the compensation will be given by the Bharat Swabhiman Trust. The compensation will be distributed to the family members of the injured in the Ramlila ground agitation," said Gupta.

Family members of Rajbala, a woman from Haryana who died after she was injured during the agitation, will be given Rs.5 lakh, and those seriously injured will be given Rs. 50,000 while other wounded people will get Rs.25,000 as compensation.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp