STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Chhattisgarh encounter genuine, says Chidambaram

Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram Thursday asserted that 17 suspected Maoists were gunned down in Chattisgarh late last month in a \"genuine\" gunfight, but said that he was \"deeply sorry\" if any innocent person was killed in the exchange of fire.

Published: 05th July 2012 09:33 PM  |   Last Updated: 06th July 2012 10:46 PM   |  A+A-

Chidambaram1LL
By IANS

Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram Thursday asserted that 17 suspected Maoists were gunned down in Chattisgarh late last month in a "genuine" gunfight, but said that he was "deeply sorry" if any innocent person was killed in the exchange of fire.

"If during the firing some innocent people have been killed we are deeply sorry. It was not our intention to kill anyone who was innocent or kill any child. But it was a case of an encounter where the forces suffered casualties first and returned the fire and inflicted casualties," Chidambaram told media persons here.

Expressing surprise at allegations that it was a "fake gunfight", the minister said in the past, security forces were ambushed and suffered heavy casualties as they were taken by surprise and could not return fire.

"The media then said the security forces were incompetent. They were unprepared.. If that is called incompetence, as some people have described it, in a case where they have returned the fire, and inflicted casualties, I am surprised that you call it a fake encounter."

Chidambaram said it was not being highlighted that the security forces had suffered six casualties and that they were had evacuated by the same helicopter as also their injured adversaries.

He said at least three to four of the 16-17 people who died in the incident had criminal records associated with left wing extremists.

"Prima facie all these facts point to a genuine encounter," he said.

However, the union minister said it was for the Chattisgarh government to decide whether they would order an inquiry.

"That's a call the Chaittisgarh chief minister is entitled to take. The DG (director general) of CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) has told us clearly they have nothing to hide, nothing to fear. His men had suffered six casualties and they returned the fire."

Security forces had gunned down 17 suspected Maoists at Korsaguda village in Bijapur district of Bastar region, about 600 km south of Raipur, June 28.

While six Central Reserve Police Force troopers were injured in the midnight gunbattle, five injured Maoists were also nabbed in the operation, but one of them later succumbed to injuries in hospital.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp