Wave of Terror Attacks Kills 21 Ahead of Modi’s Jammu and Kashmir Show

Eight soldiers, three cops, six militants dead as radicals storm Army camp in Uri; two civilians die in grenade attacks in south Kashmir; top LeT commander among two victims in Srinagar

Published: 06th December 2014 06:05 AM  |   Last Updated: 06th December 2014 09:55 AM   |  A+A-


SRINAGAR:  In a series of four attacks ahead of Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Monday visit to Jammu and Kashmir, an armed group of militants on Friday stormed a heavily fortified Army camp in Uri near the Line of Control (LoC) in North Kashmir, killing eight soldiers, including an officer, and three policemen. Six militants were also killed in the six-hour-long firefight. The militants also carried out two grenade attacks in South Kashmir killing two civilians and injuring 20 others, while two extremists, including a top commander of Lashkar-e-Toiba, were killed in a shoot-out with security forces in Soura area of Srinagar.

Also Read:

Sources said a heavily armed group of militants attacked a well-fortified Army camp at Mohra, Uri, about 20 km from the LoC in Baramulla district around 3 am. They said the militants split into two groups with one storming the Army camp by cutting the barbed wire and the other taking positions outside to stop reinforcements from reaching the spot. They said after storming inside the camp, the militants took positions and engaged Armymen in a fierce gunfight.

“The troops from neighbouring camps, who were already in a state of high alert, immediately mobilized their Quick Response Teams (QRTs) and rushed to the encounter site and cordoned off the area,” said Army spokesperson Lt Col N N Joshi, in Srinagar. He said a militant opened fire on the QRT vehicles. “The securitymen retaliated and during the gunfight, an Army vehicle went off the road and overturned, leading to casualties”. Joshi said a militant was killed in the retaliatory firing. “After killing him, the QRTs entered the camp to assist their men, who were fighting the militants. An Army barrack caught fire during heavy exchange of fire between the militants and soldiers,” sources said.

Joshi confirmed that an Army barrack was gutted. “It presumably caught fire as a kerosene heater toppled during the firefight. Some soldiers were trapped in the barrack.” He said the operation to flush out the militants from the camp ended only at 9.30 am after the death of all the militants.

“Eight armymen, including an officer, and three policemen were killed in the encounter. In all, six militants were also killed in the retaliatory firing,” Joshi said. 


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp