The Uttar Pradesh police have filed chargesheets in 22 cases in Muzaffarnagar riots, an official said Saturday.
These chargesheets have been filed by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) after investigations into the charges against the accused.
- 63 people were killed and thousands left homeless after the communal riots that began on 27 August 2013 in Muzaffarnagar and neighbouring districts of Western Uttar Pradesh.
- Initially, a total of 6,261 people had been named in 543 cases
- Later, police added names of 162 people in the original list of accused after which the total number of accused went up to 6,423.
- Allegations against 683 have been found to be correct.
- 242 people have been jailed so far.
- 47 accused have surrendered so far and the police is on the lookout for others who are absconding