STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

SC Asks Residents, Civic Body to Resolve Campa Cola Flats Row

Published: 03rd February 2014 05:18 PM  |   Last Updated: 03rd February 2014 05:18 PM   |  A+A-

By IANS

The Supreme Court today asked the Campa Cola Residents Association and the civic body in Mumbai to find out within four weeks a solution to the row over certain illegal and unauthorised flats which face demolition in view of its earlier order.      

"The Attorney General is asked to sort out the matter. It is better to try to sort out the issue within four weeks," a bench of justices S J Mukhopadhya and Kurian Joseph said.   

The court's remarks came when senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for the residents body, said the proposal, which may include a plea for either regularisation of illegal construction or relocating flat owners, was being finalised and would be submitted to Attorney General G E Vahanvati within two weeks.           

It said the AG would consider the proposal and decide within four weeks. Referring to earlier proceedings, the bench said the main matter had already been decided and moreover, "the review petition against the judgement has also been dismissed".    

"So far as the government is concerned, it can do anything. We do not want to say anything." it said.    

Earlier, the apex court had asked the unauthorised flats owners to vacate the premises by May 31 as no specific proposal could be worked out to provide them space in the compound for new construction. The order was passed after Vahanvati said, "After considering all aspects we are not in a position to work out any specific proposal."            

The bench, which stayed the demolition of the unauthorised flats by taking cognisance of media reports, had said that it took the humanitarian ground into consideration to extend the date of demolition from November 11, 2013 to May 31, 2014 as the Attorney General had sought time to come out with a specific proposal for permanent solution.          

It had asked the municipal corporation to take action in accordance with its February 27, 2013 order after the May 31, 2014 deadline ends.        

The court on February 27 had ordered the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation to demolish the illegally constructed flats and on October 1 refused to re-consider its earlier order and had set November 11 deadline to vacate 102 flats which were declared as illegal.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp