The Delhi Government today decided to file an appeal against the acquittal of seven persons including former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh, Sudheendra Kulkarni, former aide of L K Advani, and three BJP leaders by a trial court in the 2008 cash-for-vote scam.
Senior Minister Manish Sisodia said Delhi Government studied the details of the order by a trial court and felt that it should appeal against the verdict in the Delhi High Court.
"We have recommended to the Lt Governor to appeal against the trial court order. Our law officers and Special Public Prosecutor are of the view that crucial evidence was overlooked in the case," Sisodia told reporters.
When asked why the AAP government wanted to appeal against the trial court order, the Minister said the "scam was a blot on democracy" and its assessment was that "guilty escaped punishment".
A trial court in November last year had given a clean chit to Singh, Kulkarni and BJP leaders Ashok Argal, Faggan Singh Kulaste, Mahabir Singh Bhagora and party activist Sohail Hindustani, saying facts on record do not create sufficient grounds for proceeding against them.
Of the seven accused, only one, Amar Singh's former aide Sanjeev Saxena was ordered to be proceeded against under section 12 of Prevention of Corruption Act (abetment of offence relating to illegal gratification to a public servant). He was discharged of criminal conspiracy.
The cash-for-vote scam pertains to BJP MPs displaying wads of currency notes during the July 22, 2008 trust vote in the Lok Sabha after the Left Front withdrew its support to UPA-I government on the issue of Indo-US nuclear deal.
While Singh and Kulkarni spent 49 and 52 days respectively in jail before they were granted bail, Kulaste, Bhagora and Hindustani spent two-three months in jail. Argal was granted anticipatory bail.