The autopsy report of Arunachal Pradesh student Nido Taniam, whose death here sparked an outrage, has revealed that he succumbed due to injuries on his head and face caused by a blunt object.
The postmortem report, which is likely to be submitted before the Delhi High Court today, says that 19-year-old Taniam died due to "blunt trauma on head and face", police sources said.
In view of the report, the three people arrested in the case earlier and charged with assault may now face murder charges, they said.
Taniam, son of Arunachal Pradesh Congress MLA Nido Pavitra, was allegedly beaten up by some shopkeepers in Lajpat Nagar area of south Delhi on January 29 when he retaliated after they made fun of his hairstyle. He was found dead in his room next day.
The initial post-mortem report had not revealed "much injury or aberration" on his body.
His death had triggered protests in the capital with people from the Northeast alleging racial discrimination against those from the region.
- Other Countries Do Something About Racism; Our Indifference Grievously Harms India
- Nido's Parents Vow to Fight Against Discrimination
- No-confidence Notice Marks Day 2 Washout
- Government Sets up Panel to Address Concerns of Northeastern People
- Second Day of Parliament Washed out Over Telangana, Other Issues