The Italian Government on Wednesday approached the Supreme Court alleging that the slow pace of the trial and invocation of the anti-terrorism law went against the earlier order of the court and hence should be withdrawn.
Senior counsel Mukul Rohatagi, appearing for Rome, mentioned the matter before the Bench and said, “One year has passed since the apex court had directed an expeditious hearing in the case but the Centre has failed to implement the order and also the chargesheet has not been filed so far in the case.”
“The petitioners have been detained in India for the last two years without any criminal case against them being started and the Centre has, in fact, failed to present any Final Report against them for almost one year despite the direction of the apex court to try and dispose of the case on a fast-track basis,” he contended, adding that the accused be allowed to return to Italy until the commencement of the trial proceedings.
“Invoking the anti-terrorism SUA Act would be tantamount to the Republic of Italy being termed a terrorist state,” it said.
“The attempt to invoke the provisions of SUA Act is contrary to and in wilful disregard of the directions of this court,” it said.
The court listed the hearing in the case for Monday.