STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Maoists Deserting Red Terror Movement

189 Naxalites surrendered in Chhattisgarh and top ultras are not getting recruits from the affected areas, which are terrorised and tortured by them.

Published: 13th October 2014 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 13th October 2014 09:18 AM   |  A+A-

Maoist_PTi

NEW DELHI: Contrary to the Maoist propaganda, its armed cadre seem to be deserting the movement, suggests a report of Intelligence and Security agencies.

In the last nine months, around 395 guerrillas surrendered and returned to normal life. This latest report, with data collected till September 30, 2014, reveals that 189 Naxalites surrendered in Chhattisgarh alone and the top ultras are not getting recruits from the affected areas, which are terrorised and tortured by them.

In 2013, only 24 Maoists had surrendered in Chhattisgarh. Similarly, 76 Maoists surrendered in Andhra Pradesh, followed by 65 surrenders in Naxal-hit state of Odisha till September.

In 2013, only 44 Maoists had surrendered in Andhra Pradesh. The report says 11 Maoists have surrendered in new state of Telangana.

Besides, 30 surrenders have been reported in Maharashtra and 17 in Jharkhand till September. According to the Intelligence sources, the crackdown on Red terror has crippled the Naxal movement and the number of armed cadre is dwindling. The report also pointed out the recovery of 464 arms.

Around 146 arms were recovered from Jharkhand, followed by 103 arms from Chhattisgarh and 95 from Odisha. This was a huge blow to the Maoists, struggling to manage arms and ammunition supply, after the security forces’ crackdown on the Maoist technical research and arms manufacturing units in 2012. The report also says that 69 arms were recovered from Bihar, 15 from West Bengal and 11 from Telangana.

According to sources, security forces were able to make serious dent on the Naxal movement and the Naxalites are on the run.

“The sustained operation backed by Intelligence inputs also disrupted the sources of supply of their arms and ammunition and also weakened ultras financial support systems. Our two-pronged strategy was able to make inroads among the people, from whom they draw their cadres, virtually preventing fresh recruitments,” the sources added.

Earlier in May 2013, a letter from Maoists leader and its politburo member K Sudarshan was seized by security forces, which had revealed serious concerns among senior leadership of the ultras over damage to the naxal movement.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp