Centre Misconstrued Protest, Says Irom Sharmila

Sharmila said her hunger-strike is against the AFSPA., but the government seemed to have misunderstood it as a suicide attempt.

Published: 31st October 2014 06:00 AM  |   Last Updated: 31st October 2014 08:16 AM   |  A+A-


GUWAHATI: Manipur’s “Iron Lady” Irom Sharmila has lamented that the Centre had misunderstood her hunger strike as an attempt to commit suicide even as she accused the Army of misusing the Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA).

“I sat on a hunger-strike to demand the repeal of the AFSPA. But the Central government seemed to have misunderstood my movement as a suicide attempt.

“Army soldiers mostly come from outside the North East and they have a different view and sentiment for our people, who look different because of their facial features. We have seen them using AFSPA as a tool to discriminate our people,” Sharmila told journalists in Imphal before leaving for Delhi.

She was scheduled to appear before the Metropolitan Magistrate, Patiala Court on Thursday, in connection with a case filed against her at the Parliament Street police station in 2006 under IPC Section 309 (attempt to commit suicide) for holding a hunger-strike at Jantar Mantar.

Apart from Sharmila, several rights groups and the North East Students’ Organisation have for long been demanding the withdrawal of the Act. Recently, former Manipur Chief Minister Radhabinod Koijam had said that the AFSPA was as dangerous as an atom bomb.

Sharmila has been on a fast-unto-death for over 13 years now, which is the longest by anybody so far.

The 42-year-old human rights activist had spent long years in an Imphal hospital, which had been converted into a jail for her.

The hunger strike began on November 2, 2000, at Malom in Imphal valley, after 10 civilians, who were waiting at a bus stop, were shot dead allegedly by Assam Rifles personnel. The victims included a sexagenarian woman and a 1988 National Child Bravery Award winner.

Sharmila, then 28, began her fast within hours of the incident. She was arrested by the police three days later and charged with “attempt to commit suicide”. Subsequently, she was remanded in judicial custody. As her health deteriorated rapidly while under arrest, nasogastric intubation was forcefully administered to keep her alive.

She had been released every year and then re-arrested a day later under Section 309, since she would resume her fast immediately after release.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp