Pakistan Violated Ceasefire 192 Times in J-K This Year: Government

Published: 11th August 2015 04:17 PM  |   Last Updated: 11th August 2015 04:17 PM   |  A+A-

Indian-Army-Shopian-Search-Sarbal-Zawoora-PTI
By PTI

NEW DELHI: Pakistan violated ceasefire 192 times along the International Border in Jammu and Kashmir till July 26 this year, government told Lok Sabha today, adding that measures have been put in place for "immediate and effective retaliation" to such provocations.

The House was also informed that the Centre proposes to have a provision for giving Rs 5 lakh compensation, in addition to what the state government pays, to the families of those who get killed in firing from across the border.

In 2015 till July 26, there were 192 ceasefire violations along the International Border in J&K which resulted in death of three civilians and one BSF personnel, Minister of State for Home Affairs Haribhai Parathibhai Chaudhary said in a written reply.

22 people were injured while 7,110 persons were temporarily affected and 50 houses were damaged, he said.

Last year, there were 430 ceasefire violations that killed 14 people, including 12 civilians and two BSF personnel, besides affecting 2.08 lakh people, Chaudhary said.

There were 148 ceasefire violations that killed two BSF personnel in 2013. In 2012, as many as 21 such violations were witnessed that killed one civilian and two BSF personnel, the Minister said.

In the past few days also, there have been ceasefire violations on the J&K border.

To check ceasefire violations and ensure safety of people, the government has put in place various measures including "immediate and effective retaliation by BSF personnel" to instances of unprovoked firing and ceasefire violations.

"Diplomatically, India has repeatedly emphasised, including at the highest level, the need for Pakistan to uphold the sanctity of the Line of Control (LC) and abide by the ceasefire commitment of 2003 along the International Border and LC," he said.

Responding to supplementary queries, Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju said the Home Ministry has moved a Cabinet note seeking to provide Rs 5 lakh compensation to the families of people who are killed in firing from across the border.

As per the current norms, ex-gratia relief to the affected families is paid by the state government.

Rijiju said the ceasefire violations are given fitting reply after the new government came to power in May last year.

With regard to terrorists allegedly propped up by Pakistan, Rijiju said India has been categorically saying that there are elements in Pakistan government who train and send terrorists to India.

To a query on whether it is appropriate to have National Security Advisor (NSA) level talks with Pakistan in the current scenario, he said it is not for the Home Ministry to respond to.

NSA-level talks are likely to take place later this month.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp