OROP Announcement Unlikely This Week

Chairman of the Indian ex-servicemen movement Major General Satbir Singh has accused the government of attempting the dilute the provisions and go back on its assurances

Published: 27th August 2015 03:09 AM  |   Last Updated: 27th August 2015 03:17 AM   |  A+A-

NEW DELHI:  The deadlock between the government and ex-servicemen over conditions to implement One Rank One Pension (OROP) scheme has made it unlikely that there would be an early announcement about its implementation this week.

Chairman of the Indian ex-servicemen movement Major General Satbir Singh has accused the government of attempting the dilute the provisions and go back on its assurances. “We are sad that the government wants to dilute the approved definition of OROP and wants to break the assurance they had given us earlier,” he told reporters on Wednesday.

He was referring to the talks held at the residence of Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday night.

“We will continue meeting if the government were to call us again and try to find out ways,” Major General Singh said.

Earlier in the day, the agitating ex-servicemen had a two-hour meeting with the Chief of Army Staff Dalbir Singh.

During the talks, the government and the Indian Ex-Servicemen Movement (IESM) were at loggerheads over the former’s proposal that 2011 should be the base year and payments should begin from April 2015, rather than April 2014. The government also did not want a three per cent annual increase.

“We think the government doesn’t want to give us the OROP on the proposed conditions and we will not accept it without those conditions. People are determined and want to continue the strike till the government meets the demands,” Major General Singh said.

He added that the ex-servicemen had requested for a meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, through Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar, but there has been no response so far. The deadlock could impact plans for an early announcement of OROP, which was speculated to take place on August 28, the 50th anniversary of the 1965 Indo-Pak War.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp