Patel Youth Injured in Firing During Quota Stir in August Dies

Published: 25th December 2015 10:31 PM  |   Last Updated: 25th December 2015 10:31 PM   |  A+A-


AHMEDABAD:  After battling for life for four months, a 22-year-old Patel youth, who was shot and critically injured in firing by security forces during the Patel quota quota agitation, died today, said his relatives.      

Mayur Patel, who was admitted in a private hospital in the city after being shot during the quota stir violence in Mehsana, about 75km from here, on August 26, succumbed this afternoon, they said. He was receiving treatment at Hope Hospital after a bullet pierced his neck during firing by para-military forces at Modhera in Mehsana, where large-scale violence took place following the detention of quota leader Hardik Patel on August 25 after a mega rally here, said officials of Mehsana police.       

Mayur was part of a mob of around 10,000 people who were accused of pelting stones on police that day. He was shown as an accused in an FIR filed in Mehsana 'B' Division Police Station, said Inspector J T Sisodiya, who became the complainant in the case.         

"Around 5 to 6 persons were injured in firing by para- military forces and police who fired to quell violence after the angry mob went on the rampage. In that firing, one Nikhil Patel died, while Mayur and 4 to 5 others were injured. Mayur was hit on his neck and shifted to Ahmedabad," said Sisodiya.        

Sisodiya confirmed Mayur's death. According to his maternal uncle Dinesh Patel, the bullet injury almost paralysed Mayur who was bed-ridden for four months. "He had an MBA degree and was searching for a job. He was actively involved in the Patel (Patidar) quota agitation. It is really a sad day for us. We have taken his body for post -mortem at (civic-run) V S Hospital," said Dinesh.    

Demanding reservation for the Patel community in government jobs and education, Hardik, Convener of Patidar Anamat Andolan Samiti (PAAS), organised a massive rally at GMDC Ground here on August 25. Later, when Hardik was detained during the night, large-scale riots broke out across the state and continued the next day.     

Prior to Mayur's death, nine members of the community had lost their lives during the violence, said PAAS spokesperson Harikesh Patel. Inspector P K Rana of Mehsana, who is now heading the investigation into the August 26 violence, met Mayur at the hospital a few days back. "I came to Ahmedabad a few days back to see his condition as I have been appointed Investigating Officer for that case," he said.   


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp