PANAJI: Goa Chief Minister Laxmikant Parsekar today said appropriate action will be taken against those involved in running dance bars and alleged prostitution in the coastal belt.
"I have received reports about what has been happening in the coastal belt. I have initiated appropriate action in the matter," Parsekar, told PTI on the sidelines of two-day long 'Science Fiesta' programme.
Last week, a group of protesters, purportedly led by BJP MLA Michael Lobo had demolished two structures at two separate bars in the Calangute-Baga belt, claiming that it housed dance bars.
Lobo, had also sat on one-day long hunger strike on February 23, demanding action against prostitution activities running illegally in the belt.
Parsekar said appropriate action would be taken to check such activities in the popular tourist area.
"I will not like to pronounce what I will be doing at this point of time. But let me assure (you) that an action is being initiated," the chief minister said.
Lobo was seen in the CCTV footages, released by bar and restaurant owners whose joints were attacked, allegedly leading a group of people that demolished two structures in the Calangute-Baga belt, last week.
The MLA from Calangute, however, claimed it was a fury among protesters, consisting locals, that led to the demolitions and that he was just trying to control them.
Clad in a white shirt, Lobo was seen leading a group of men and instructing them to pull down the structures.
"They attacked our CCTV cameras. But, we managed to get some footage which has been submitted to the police. We want action to be taken against the MLA," said Sunil Bhomkar, who runs 'Agnee' bar and restaurant that was attacked by the mob.