AHMEDABAD: Two sanitation workers and a 50-year-old man today died after allegedly inhaling poisonous gas leaked from a drainage line in Hathigadh village of Liliya taluka of Amreli district, police said.
"Two labourers - Bhagwan Gohil (18) and Ramesh Gohil (25) - died while cleaning a drainage line at the house of one Ashok Kathiriya, who also lost his life in the incident today," Police Sub Inspector D B Goswami of Liliya taluka police station told PTI.
Kathiriya had called the two workers to clean the choked drainage line at his house, Goswami said.
"Both the labourers entered the manhole for cleaning, while Kathiriya stood near and kept a watch on them. However, suddenly some poisonous gas leaked inside the drainage, which led to their death," the officer said.
A case of accidental death has been registered and their bodies were sent to Community Health Centre of Liliya taluka for post-mortem, Goswami said.