COIMBATORE: The Coimbatore Unit of the Food Safety Wing will register a case against a KFC outlet, located in DB Road, RS Puram, where a bucket of chicken, bought by a customer, was found to contain dead worms, almost exactly a year ago.
In June 2014, Yasser Arafat, a businessman, had bought a bucket of the crispy chicken, and picked up some soft drinks from the outlet. He and his friends then headed home, where they began eating.
They soon noticed that the chicken contained worms. Handing over the food to the Food Safety Wing, they called the outlet and informed them of the foreign substances in the food, but the store reportedly refused to address the issue with the seriousness the case deserved.
On Tuesday, R Kathiravan, the Designated Officer of the Food Safety Wing, Coimbatore, told Express that they would file a case under Section 59(i) -- Punishment for unsafe food -- where such failure or contravention does not result in injury, with imprisonment for a term which may extend to six months and also with fine (which may extend to `1 lakh) of the Food Safety and Standards Act of 2006.
Sources said that the samples had tested positive for dead worms. Positive sample results were received around six months ago. They said that the case would be filed within the next two weeks.
When Express contacted the Kentucky Fried Chicken's head office, the company asked us to send our queries by email to a designated contact person. However, the company failed to respond to the queries.