MUMBAI: A 60-year-old man and his grandson were electrocuted at Wadala in central Mumbai today as incessant rains continued to lash the city.
Ranjit Kumar Gupta (60) and Gaurav Karnik (5) were killed after coming in contact with live wire in a building at Wadala's J K Bashir Road, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai (MCGM) said in a statement issued here.
Both were immediately taken to state-run LTMG Hospital at Sion immediately but were declared dead at arrival, it added.
The incident happened at 7.30 AM when Gupta and Gaurav were entering their building after having breakfast outside, officials attached with Antop Hill police station said.
Ranjit was living with two daughters in building number 11 in suburb Sion-Koliwada and Gaurav was the son of one of his daughters, they said.
"There was two-feet water outside the building premises and near the electric cabin, they came into contact with the water where there was a live wire," said Dilip Gawkar, an official involved in the case.
Apart from this, there were 22 incidents of short circuits across the city till 2.30 PM today, the civic body said, adding there were a dozen cases of wall collapse in the metropolis in which one person suffered minor injuries.