AHMEDABAD: A 19-year-old girl today died and four others were hospitalised following leakage of toxic gas from a chemical factory here, a senior fire brigade official said. "A girl died and four others were hospitalised due to gas leakage in Omkar chemical factory in Suez farm area of the city. The factory was functioning without a No-Objection Certificate," city's Chief Fire officer M F Dastur told reporters here.
"A chemical was released by a factory in drainage and when it mixed with water, it formed some poisonous gas and affected the people," he said. "The exact gas which was formed is yet to be ascertained. But the factory uses Caustic Lye and Hydrochloric acid. It will be probed what was there in drainage," he said.
A closure notice has been issued to the factory after the incident, Dastur said, adding the girl's body has been sent for postmortem.
Meanwhile, the Danilimda police have registered a case in this connection.