Bharati Shipyard Loans: Edelweiss Calls for Debt Aggregation

Published: 15th September 2015 05:53 PM  |   Last Updated: 15th September 2015 05:53 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

MUMBAI: Citing troubles it is facing with the Bharati Shipyard loans, Edelweiss Asset Reconstruction Company today said there is a need for debt aggregation for smoother resolution of stressed assets.      

"We have taken over 70 per cent of the loans of Bharati Shipyard and the remaining 30 per cent are spread across 10 banks. This creates problems in the resolution of assets as bringing all the lenders together is an issue," its managing director and chief executive Sibi Anthony said speaking at a seminar here.  

He said in the absence of the same, there is a need for all the lenders to come forward on debt aggregation and ensure that the player who is most interested in turning around the asset gets complete freedom to do so.    

It can be noted that Edelweiss ARC has been buying over stressed loans of lenders from banks since last year and is now planning a Rs 4,500 crore restructuring for the ailing company.      

Reserve Bank deputy governor R Gandhi acknowledged the difficulties faced by the ARCs like Edelweiss.    

"Many times, sale of debts of a single borrower to a single SC (securitisation company) or RC (reconstruction company) may not be possible, sale of entire debt of one borrower to a single SC/RC would help in effective and efficient resolution," he said.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp