INDORE: A day after questioning wife of main accused Rajendra Kasawa in the Petlawad explosion that killed 89 people, police today decided to conduct DNA profiling of three unidentified bodies to ascertain whether Kasawa, who is absconding, is actually dead.
Kasawa's wife Pramila has told police that her husband had rushed to the building minutes before the explosion.
"Three unidentified bodies of the Petlawad blast are lying at morgue of Maharaja Yeswantrao Hospital, Indore. We are going to take samples of family members of the accused and match it with the profile of the three bodies. This exercise will prove whether Kasawa is dead or alive," Jhabua Superintendent of Police GG Pandey told PTI.
He said that different teams have been formed who are looking for Kasawa, who carries a reward of Rs 1 lakh on his head.
Meanwhile, a police officer on condition of anonymity said, during yesterday's interrogation Pramila, said as soon as Kasawa received the information on phone that smoke is billowing from his godown, he rushed to the spot and did not return.
She informed police that he might have possibly died in the explosion or its aftermath.
According to an eye-witness, a minor blast took place at Kasawa's godown first and those who were near the new bus stand rushed to the spot to see what had happened, he said.
After four minutes, a series of explosions in the godown near a public place took place that threw people in air in an area of 100 metre and blew up a building housing a hotel where people had thronged for breakfast on September 12 morning, they said.
Kasawa had been booked under 304 (manslaughter) of IPC and other sections of Explosive Substance Act, after the incident.
On September 12, 89 people were killed and nearly 100 injured after a massive blast caused by mining explosives stored in a building ripped through a crowded area in Petlwad town.