NEW DELHI: Gurgaon police had requested access to the Saudi Arabian diplomat, facing charges of confinement and rape of two Nepalese women, for 'interrogation' from the External Affairs Ministry.
"The Gurgaon police had requested for the access to the diplomat vide letters dated September 9 and 10," Gurgaon police commissioner Navdeep Singh Virk said today.
"But we have not received any official communication from the Ministry of External Affairs so far in this regard," Virk said.
Meanwhile, the spokesperson in External Affairs Ministry Vikas Swaroop confirmed that the diplomat tonight left the country.
"We have learnt that the first secretary Majed Hassan Ashoor who was allegedly accused of raping two Nepalese women has left India," he said.
It is learnt that the MEA had put pressure on the Saudi Embassy to allow the questioning of the diplomat given the gravity of the allegations in the case involving confinement and rape of the two women, following which Saudi Arabia decided to withdraw the diplomat.