Two More Indians Abducted in ISIS-held Sirte, Bringing Total Kidnapped to Four in Libya

One of the abducted gave a letter to Indian embassy earlier this year insisting on staying back

Published: 17th September 2015 03:21 AM  |   Last Updated: 17th September 2015 10:50 AM   |  A+A-

NEW DELHI: Two Indians have been abducted in Sirte in war-torn Libya even as two other nationals remain in the custody of Islamic State (IS) militants.

One of the two Indians, Pravash Ranjan Samal, originally from Kendrapara in Odisha, was the chief coordinator for Indian nationals in the Libyan city, helping the Tripoli-based embassy officials convince others to leave the conflict zone. “Samal was the one who was telling all the Indians to leave. However, he stayed back despite knowing the situation,” said a source.

The other Indian has been identified by the Ministry of External Affairs as Ramamurthy Kosanam, a doctor from Andhra Pradesh.

According to sources, the Indian embassy learnt about the abduction of the two Indians from an escaped Filipino employee, who had hid herself when armed gunmen barged into the hospital on September 8. “She managed to leave the hospital after two days and found her way to Tripoli,” said an official. In Tripoli, she went to the Philippines embassy, which was being manned by a skeletal staff. On hearing her story, the Filipino diplomats contacted the Indian embassy, where ambassador Azhar A H Khan herself spoke to the escaped employee. She narrated that the IS had taken away 10 Filipinos and two Indians on September 8.

MEA officials have apparently informed the family members of Samal, but were trying to contact the next of kin of Kosanam.

Indian officials are frustrated that despite multiple travel advisories and personal exhortations, more than 2,500 Indian citizens continued to work in the war zone, including in Sirte. After the evacuation operation launched last year, India has been repeatedly telling all Indian nationals to leave Libya, which is under full-blown civil war. “After the first kidnapping of the two Indians, the embassy had been in touch with Samal, telling him repeatedly to leave the country. It is really sad that despite knowing the conditions, they stay back and then create an enormous issue for Indian government,” an official said. Even now, there are around 13-14 Indian nationals in Sirte – one working in the university and the rest in the hospital.

However, Sirte has been under a complete communication blackout since late August, with ISIS cutting off all phone and internet ties with the outside world. “Since then, we had not been in touch with anyone from the city,” said another official.

Confirming the detention of the two Indian medical personnel, the ministry of external affairs spokesperson Vikas Swarup said on Wednesday that Indian mission was in touch with local people who can help in securing release of the two Indian nationals.

“The matter has also been taken up at diplomatic level. All efforts are being made to ensure the well-being and secure early release of our nationals,” he said.

Sirte’s communication black hole has badly impacted the embassy’s efforts to retrieve the two teachers, T Gopikrishna and Balram Krishnan, whose location are unknown, since they were stopped at a checkpoint outside Sirte on July 29.

It is learnt that embassy have informed New Delhi that a visitor to Sirte, who met with local authorities, have been told that the duo are still alive.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp