LUCKNOW: The one-man inquiry commission set up by the Uttar Pradesh government to probe Muzaffarnagar riots today submitted its report to Governor Ram Naik.
"Justice Vishnu Sahay, heading the commission submitted the report to the Governor today. The 775-page report is in six parts," a Raj Bhawan release said.
The report will be forwarded to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav for action, it said.
The commission of retired judge of Allahabad High Court was constituted on September 9, 2013 and was given extension several times by the government. It had sought an extension of two more months till October 8. Initially, it had been asked to submit its report in two months.
The commission recorded the statements of more than 476 persons, including 100 officials in connection with the riots that broke out after an incident on August 27, 2013.
It was also asked to look into administrative lapses, if any, in controlling the violence in Muzaffarnagar and surrounding districts which left over 60 people dead and thousands displaced.