Congress Demands Sacking of Telecom Minister Over Call Drops Issue

Published: 29th September 2015 05:16 PM  |   Last Updated: 29th September 2015 05:16 PM   |  A+A-

By PTI

NEW DELHI: Criticising the government for failing to resolve the problem of call drops, Congress today demanded the immediate sacking of Telecom Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad for his "incompetence".

Party general secretary Shakeel Ahmed told reporters that it was becoming difficult to talk on mobile "for even five seconds" and the problem was more in the networks of state-owned MTNL and BSNL. "The concerned Minister should be dropped forthwith due to the growing problem of call drops. The problem shows his incompetence," said Ahmed, a former Minister of state for Communications, while addressing the AICC briefing. He, however, did not take the name of Prasad.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had in the last week of August voiced serious concern over the menace of call drops and asked officials concerned to take urgent steps to address it as it affects the common people. Government had stepped up pressure on mobile operators to check call drops asking their promoters including Anil Ambani, Kumar Mangalam Birla and Sunil Mittal to directly intervene to address the issue. It also warned that the companies would face penal action if they fail to take corrective action.

Prasad said on the Sunday that the situation is improving. "There is a problem about call drops, but the situation is improving," he had told reporters in Patna. "All the telecom operators have been told to take steps to improve quality of services," he had said, adding that the telecommunications department had reviewed the situation on a weekly basis for the past two months to reduce call drops.

Making a strong plea for a national tower policy, Congress had earlier accused Prasad and TRAI of playing into the hands of corporates by declaring that mobile towers are completely safe if installed in residential areas or school buildings.

Replying to queries on other issues, Ahmed steered clear of the demand for a ban on Sanatan Sanstha in the wake of the arrest of its activist in the murder of the rationalist Govind Pansare. He said that it is a law and order issue and the

BJP-led Maharashtra government needed to take a call on it. He suggested that the Sanatan and MIM headed by A Owaisi were two sides of the same coin and MIM is helping the BJP in poll-bound Bihar.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now
(Get the news that matters from New Indian Express on WhatsApp. Click this link and hit 'Click to Subscribe'. Follow the instructions after that.)

Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp