NEW DELHI: Lt Col. Prasad Purohit, one of the main accused in the Samjhauta and Malegaon blasts cases, has written to Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar requesting restoration of his honour.
In his letter dated April 4, he claims he has been falsely implicated in the case and has been behind the bars for more than seven years now.
"I have been robbed of honour, dignity and rank and punished for serving the nation," he said. Purohit claimed he had infiltrated groups like SIMI and Naxals as a military intelligence operative and added that he had shared every detail of his operation with his seniors.
This is not the first time that Purohit has written to Parrikar. In November 2015, he had written to him requesting copies of the Court of Inquiry against him by the army. He finally has got copies of the CoI after court intervention.
"It remains a matter of fact, which one may care to pursue from the CoI papers, now with the Sessions Court in Mumbai, that as many as 14 reports were initiated by me during my tenure in Maharashtra after successfully infiltrating SIMI, IM and Naxals operating in Northern Maharashtra," he said.
Meanwhile, asked what she expects as a result of the letter, his wife Aparna Purohit said "I don't know what will come of it. We are hopeful that the minister will look into the facts of the case and the CoI report. He will know that my husband had been reporting all his activities to his seniors." In 2014, Purohit had written a similar letter to the then Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde.