NEW DELHI: Calling a haalt to the selfie craze that has caused several unfortunate incidents, the Centre has issued an advisory to states directing that danger zones where people are not allowed to click pictures be demarcated.
The Ministry of Tourism on Wednesday issued an advisory to mark ‘Selfie Danger Zone’ at accident-prone locations of tourist sites, particularly near water bodies and hills.
In a letter to state governments, Ministry of Tourism Additional Director General Meenakshi Sharma said that in recent times, a number of accidents occurring in the process of taking selfies at accident-prone locations in tourist sites have been reported widely in the media. She then went on to list suggestions which can be undertaken by states to curb such incidents.
“... It is advised that you may put up proper sign boards marking all such areas and zones as ‘Selfie Danger Zones’.” The government asked the state to identify all such tourist spots which are prone to accidents and erect sign boards warning visitors, besides posting volunteers or tourist police at such sites.
The advisory also asked officials to barricade areas, wherever “possible danger” is identified and encouraged the spreading of awareness through social and other media campaigns.
A Ministry of Tourism official said the decision to issue the advisory ahead of Independence Day is part of security measures being implemented for the celebrations. Last year, India reportedly had the highest number of deaths among people trying to take selfies — 15 of the total 27 in the world. Among the people who died while taking selfies was a Japanese tourist, who fell down the stairs while taking a picture of himself at the Taj Mahal last September. In another incident, seven students drowned in a lake in Nagpur after their boat capsized when the boys tilted to one side of the boat to take a picture in March last year.