Sushma Swaraj meets family of Ansari, Indian prisoner in lodged Pakistan, assures them all help

Swaraj last week had directed the Indian High Commissioner in Pakistan to seek consular access to Ansari.

Published: 11th August 2016 06:29 PM  |   Last Updated: 11th August 2016 06:30 PM   |  A+A-


NEW DELHI: External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj today met the family of Indian prisoner Hamid Nehal Ansari, who was attacked at least thrice by inmates in a Peshawar jail, and assured them of all possible help.

Swaraj last week had directed the Indian High Commissioner in Pakistan to seek consular access to Ansari.

External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup said India has again "strongly" taken up with Pakistani authorities security of Ansari in the wake of reports that he was attacked inside the jail.

"On August 5, we have again strongly taken up the matter of security of Hamid Ansari while he is in the custody of Pakistani authorities. This was done specifically in the light of reports that he was attacked again in prison in which he is lodged.

"We have reminded the Government of Pakistan of its responsibility to ensure his security," Swarup said adding "We have also conveyed that according to our understanding since his sentence of three years is already over he should be released and repatriated to India at the earliest." 

Swaraj met the family of Ansari and assured that government will keep pursuing his case with Pakistan.

Ansari, a Mumbai resident, was arrested in 2012 for illegally entering Pakistan from Afghanistan reportedly to meet a girl he had befriended online. He had suffered injuries after he was attacked by inmates in the Peshawar Central Prison recently.

31-year-old Ansari was sentenced to three years imprisonment by a military court for possessing a fake Pakistani identity card.

Ansari's lawyer lawyer Qazi Mohammad Anwar told Peshawar High Court bench on Thursday that his client was attacked at least thrice by jail inmates in recent months.

Anwar also told the court that Ansari had been kept in a death cell with a hardened criminal awaiting execution for a murder.

Ansari was attacked and injured three times over the last couple of months and shifted to the hospital for treatment, the counsel said. He said even the head warden would subject him to brutality and slap him on a daily basis without any reason.

Ansari had gone missing after he was taken into custody by intelligence agencies and local police in Kohat in 2012 and finally in reply to a habeas corpus petition filed by his mother, Fauzia Ansari, the high court was informed on January 13 that he was in custody of the Pakistan Army and was being tried by a military court.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp