Curfew lifted from parts of Srinagar in strife torn Kashmir

Barring five incidents of stone-pelting, the situation in the Valley remained by and large peaceful yesterday.

Published: 23rd August 2016 11:58 AM  |   Last Updated: 23rd August 2016 12:01 PM   |  A+A-

Kashmir unrest irony PTI

A boy looks on as a security jawan stands guard during curfew and srike in Srinagar for 15th consecutive day on Sunday. | PTI


SRINAGAR: Curfew was today lifted from most areas of Srinagar in view of the improving situation, even as normal life in the Valley remained affected for the 46th straight day due to restrictions and strike in the wake of violence following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

Curfew has been lifted from most areas of Srinagar district. However, it will remain in force in five police station areas of downtown city and Batamaloo, Maisuma and Kralkhud in the uptown, a police official said.

He said curfew was also in force in Anantnag town of south Kashmir.

The official said the restrictions on the movement of people in many areas of the Valley were lifted following improvement in the situation.

The authorities yesterday relaxed curfew for eight hours in the jurisdiction of 12 police stations in Srinagar from 9 am and the relaxation period passed off peacefully, without any untoward incident.

Barring five incidents of stone-pelting, the situation in the Valley remained by and large peaceful throughout the day yesterday, the official said.

The lifting of the curbs allowed movement of people in the city as there was increased movement of private cars and auto-rickshaws in and around Lal Chowk city centre today.

However, the official said, restrictions on the assembly of four or more persons under Section 144 Crpc will continue to remain imposed in the entire Valley to maintain law and order.

The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against Wani's killing, has asked women to hold peaceful protests today.

65 persons, including two cops, have been killed and several thousand others injured in the clashes that began on July 9, a day after Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag area of Anantnag district.

Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed for the 46th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist sponsored strike.

Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads.The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected.

Mobile Internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp