Day 48: Curfew extended to Pulwama district, restrictions in Valley

Curfew continued in Kashmir for the 48th consecutive day as the separatists extended the protest.

Published: 25th August 2016 09:40 AM  |   Last Updated: 25th August 2016 11:50 AM   |  A+A-


Security jawans patroling at a deserted market during curfew in Srinagar. | PTI


SRINAGAR: Curfew was today extended to Pulwama district while it remained in force in some areas of Srinagar and Anantnag town, while restrictions on the assembly of people in the rest of the Valley continued for the 48th consecutive day in the wake of violence following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani.

Curfew is in force in five police station areas of downtown city and Batamaloo and Maisuma areas in uptown, a police official said. In south Kashmir, curfew was imposed in Pulwama district while it continued in Anantnag town as well today to maintain law and order.

Curfew was imposed in Pulwama in view of killing of a youth in security forces action in the district yesterday during clashes. The authorities on Tuesday had lifted curfew from most areas of Srinagar - the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir - in view of the improving situation.

The lifting of the curbs allowed movement of people in the city as there was increased traffic of private cars and auto-rickshaws in and around Lal Chowk city centre over the past two days. However, the official said, restrictions on the assembly of four or more people under Section 144 Crpc will continue to remain imposed in the rest of the Valley to maintain law and order.

Meanwhile, normal life remained paralysed for the 48th consecutive day due to curfew, restrictions and separatist sponsored strike.

Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed while public transport continued to be off roads. The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected, the official said. Mobile Internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against Wani's killing, have extended the strike call in the Valley till September 1.

As many as 66 persons, including two cops, have been killed and several thousand others injured in the clashes that began on July 9, a day after Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag area of south Kashmir's Anantnag district.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp