GCPA Lifts 4-day Rail Blockade Lifted After Violent Clashes With Police

Cooch Behar District Magistrate P Ulaganathan asked the GCPA activists over loudspeaker to vacate the spot terming the blockade as illegal.

Published: 23rd February 2016 07:27 PM  |   Last Updated: 23rd February 2016 07:27 PM   |  A+A-


COOCH BEHAR: The Greater Cooch Behar People's Association today lifted its 'rail roko' agitation demanding Union Territory status or C category statehood for Cooch Behar district on the fourth day today.            

This was announced by the GCPA supremo Bangshi Badan Barman after the police arrested the activists late this afternoon. The lifting of the rail blockade at the New Cooch Behar railway station on Cooch Behar-New Jalpaiguri section was preceded by sporadic clashes between the police and the agitators.       

According to the police, the agitators pelted stones from railway lines on the security personnel keeping watch on the agitators. The police retaliated with firing teargas shells and lathicharge, injuring several persons on both sides. In the late afternoon today, a huge contingent of police force gathered at the New Cooch Behar station to disperse the agitators.    

Cooch Behar District Magistrate P Ulaganathan asked the GCPA activists over loudspeaker to vacate the spot terming the blockade as illegal. As this produced no result, the police then surrounded the agitators from three sides and arrested them including the GCPA central committee leader Bhabesh Barman.        

The police operation continued for half an hour before Bangshi Badan Barman announced the lifting of the agitation. He, however, denied that the GCPA activists had pelted stones at the police.       

The agitation began at 6 AM on Saturday when the activists squatted on tracks near the New Cooch Behar station, affecting railway link to the Northeast. All trains from the region except the Dibrugarh- Guwahati-New Delhi Rajdhani Express were cancelled today, a spokesman of the North Eastern Frontier Railway said in Guwahati.         

The Rajdhani Express was diverted via Siliguri-New Jalpaiguri section, the spokesman said. A 29-year-old man had died on Sunday after falling ill in the Kanchenjungha Express which was stranded for several hours in Cooch Behar due to the stir.   

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp