STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

High Court set to rule on deadly 2002 Gujarat riots tomorrow

The 62 accused, most of whom are on bail, do not include any former officials or ministers from Modi\'s then-government.

Published: 01st June 2016 03:53 PM  |   Last Updated: 01st June 2016 03:55 PM   |  A+A-

godhra AP
By AFP

AHMEDABAD: High Court is expected to deliver its verdict Thursday on 62 people accused of a massacre during religious riots which swept Gujarat state 14 years ago, a prosecutor said.

They are charged with murder, rioting, criminal conspiracy and arson over the deaths of 69 Muslims sheltering in a residential complex in the city of Ahmedabad.

The riots have long dogged Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who as chief minister of the state was accused of turning a blind eye to the pogrom in which more than 1,000 people died.

Public prosecutor RC Kodekar said a verdict was expected on Thursday following a drawn-out trial that has been delayed for so long by appeals that six of the original accused have died.

Kodekar said Wednesday he was seeking life in prison for all 62 accused of storming the Gulbarg Society complex, hacking to death and burning the Muslims hiding there.

"The judge PB Desai has fixed June 2 to pronounce the judgement against 62 accused in the case. We have sought maximum punishment for all of the accused," Kodekar told AFP.

The attack was one of many killings across Gujarat triggered by the death of 59 Hindu pilgrims in a train fire on February 27, 2002 that was initially blamed on Muslims.

Hindus angry for revenge rampaged through Muslim neighbourhoods in some of India's worst religious riots since independence from Britain and partition in 1947.

An investigative panel appointed by the Supreme Court concluded in 2012 that there was no evidence to charge Modi himself and he has always denied any wrongdoing.

More than 100 people have already been convicted over the riots, including one of Modi's former ministers who was jailed for instigating one of the worst massacres.

The current trial began in 2009 after the Supreme Court ordered a reinvestigation into some of the worst incidents during the riots, including the Gulbarg Society massacre.

But one year later the Supreme Court issued a stay on any verdict after a petition seeking a probe into whether Modi and others played a role in the Gulbarg massacre.

The Supreme Court only lifted its order last year when a lower court rejected an appeal echoing the petition.

The 62 accused, most of whom are on bail, do not include any former officials or ministers from Modi's then-government.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp