STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Gulberg case: Quantum of sentence for convicts on June 17

Earlier, the special SIT court had on June 2 convicted 11 persons for murder and other offences.

Published: 13th June 2016 01:23 PM  |   Last Updated: 13th June 2016 01:23 PM   |  A+A-

Gujarat Riots_AFP 8

A policeman takes aim with his rifle from the roof of a building as a mob riots down in the streets below in Ahmedabad, 22 April 2002. (File Photo | AFP)

By PTI

AHMEDABAD:  A special SIT court today said that it will pronounce the quantum of sentence on Friday for 24 convicts of the Gulberg Society massacre in which 69 people, including former Congress MP Ehsan Jafri, were killed.     

The court of Special Judge P B Desai here said that the quantum of sentence will be declared on June 17, after the prosecution submitted a list of jail terms spent by all 24 convicts, as asked by the court.                

Earlier, the court had on June 2 convicted 11 persons for murder and other offences, while 13 others, including VHP leader Atul Vaidya, were charged with lesser offences. It had also acquitted 36 others in the case.        

The court had concluded the arguments on quantum of sentence on Friday last week after taking into consideration submissions made by both the prosecution and defence lawyers as well as the lawyer of the victims.    

During the arguments, special public prosecutor and counsel for Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT), R C Kodekar, had asked the court for nothing less than death sentence or jail term till death for all 24 convicts.      

He said all 24 convicts were found guilty of offence under section 149 of the IPC, and therefore required to be treated at par when the sentence is pronounced.               

Section 149 states that "every person who, at the time of the committing of that offence, is a member of the same assembly, is guilty of that offence".         

"The manner of crime was cruel, barbaric and inhuman. Victims' bodies were roasted alive, in the crime for which there was no provocation, much less in case of women and children who were defenceless," Kodekar had told the court.

He also informed the court during the course of hearing that those involved in the ghastly act of killing the residents of Gulberg were either known to them or their neighbours, and not terrorists from other country.              

Lawyer for the victims, S M Vora, also sought maximum punishment for the accused and argued that sentence for each offence should not run concurrently so that they spend their entire life in jail.   

However, lawyer of the accused, Abhay Bhardwaj, refuted the demand for capital punishment or maximum punishment in his arguments, saying that the incident was spontaneous and there were enough provocations for it.   

"Since the conspiracy has not been established, asking the court for capital punishment on partially relied evidence is not appropriate," Bhardwaj had earlier told the court.   



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp