STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Chidambaram in Double Trouble Over Son's Deeds and Ishrat's Past

Another MHA official says Ishrat Jahan\'s terror links were glossed over at the best of his bosses in the ministry then

Published: 02nd March 2016 12:23 AM  |   Last Updated: 02nd March 2016 12:55 AM   |  A+A-

By ANI

NEW DELHI: Former Union home minister P Chidambaram faces fire from two flanks with another Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) official confirming that a court affidavit was altered at the boss' behest in the Ishrat Jahan encounter case, and AIADMK MPs targeting him for his son Kathi's role in the Aircel-Maxis deal.

The revelation that the Ishrat Jahan affidavit was altered by Chidambaram himself was confirmed by former under-secretary for internal security in the MHA R V S Mani on Tuesday. It was first made by former home secretary G K Pilllai and owned by Chidambaram himself.

All the same, it threatens to alter the current political discourse as the BJP was quick to target the former home minister for erasing findings about Ishrat's terror links in the affidavit.

Mani told a news channel, "I did not draft the second affidavit. I was ordered to sign the file, so I did it. If I am ordered to do something, I have to go and do it. I cannot refuse. I cannot say what the need for the affidavit was? You will have to ask people who ordered it.”.

His claim came days after former home secretary G.K. Pillai alleged that Chidambaram “bypassed him” and “rewrote” the second affidavit submitted to a court in this connection.

“I believe in Intelligence Bureau’s (IB's) inputs, and there is no reason for not believing in IB inputs. The CBI, however, said the IB input is not believable. I refused to back what the CBI said,” he said.

Chidambaram said on Monday said the revised affidavit was “absolutely correct” and “as a minister I accept full responsibility for tt”.

Hitting back at Pillai, Chidambaram it was disappointing that the former home secretary who was equally responsible wanted to distance himself from that.

Citing intelligence reports, Chidambaram as home minister had submitted an affidavit in the Gujarat High Court in August 2009, which referred to Ishrat’s alleged links with Lashkar-e-Taiba.

However, a revised affidavit was filed within a month, in which all references to Ishrat’s alleged terror links were missing.

The 19-year-old college student was gunned down along with three others in Ahmedabad in June 2004, allegedly while conspiring to kill the then chief minister of gujarat, Narendra Modi.

Her terror links were a matter of dispute for over a decade until they were confirmed by Pakistani terrorist David Headley last month.



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp