STOCK MARKET BSE NSE

Government Sets up Probe Panel on Missing Files of Ishrat Jahan Case

The panel will find out the person responsible for keeping the files and relevant issues, a Home Ministry official said.

Published: 14th March 2016 05:10 PM  |   Last Updated: 14th March 2016 05:10 PM   |  A+A-

Ishrat-PTI

File Photo of Ishrat Jahan. Pakistani-American terrorist David Headley claimed on Thursday that Ishrat Jahan was an operative of terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba. | PTI

By PTI

NEW DELHI: A one-man inquiry committee of Additional Secretary B K Prasad will probe the issue of missing files related to the case of alleged fake encounter of Ishrat Jahan, government today said.

Prasad, Additional Secretary in the Home Ministry, will inquire into the circumstances in which the files related to the case of Ishrat Jahan, who was killed in an alleged fake encounter in Gujarat in 2004, went missing.

The panel will find out the person responsible for keeping the files and relevant issues, a Home Ministry official said. The papers which went missing from the Home Ministry include the copy of an affidavit vetted by the Attorney General and submitted in the Gujarat High Court in 2009 and the draft of the second affidavit vetted by the AG on which changes were made.

Two letters written by the then Home Secretary G K Pillai to the then Attorney General late G E Vahanvati and the copy of the draft affidavit have so far been untraceable.

Home Minister Rajnath Singh had disclosed in Parliament on March 10 that the files were missing. The first affidavit was filed on the basis of inputs from Maharashtra and Gujarat Police besides the Intelligence Bureau where it was said that the 19-year-old girl from Mumbai outskirts was a Lashkar-e-Taiba activist but it was ignored in the second affidavit, Home Ministry officials said.

The second affidavit, claimed to have been drafted by the then Home Minister P Chidambaram, said there was no conclusive evidence to prove that Ishrat was a terrorist, officials said.

Former Union Home Secretary G K Pillai had claimed that as Home Minister, Chidambaram had recalled the file a month after the original affidavit, which described Ishrat and her slain aides as LeT operatives, was filed in the court.

Subsequently, Chidambaram had said that Pillai is equally responsible for the change in affidavit.

Ishrat, Javed Shaikh alias Pranesh Pillai, Amjadali Akbarali Rana and Zeeshan Johar were killed in an encounter with Gujarat Police on the outskirts of Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.

The city crime branch had then said those killed in the encounters were LeT terrorists and had landed in Gujarat to kill the then Chief Minister Narendra Modi. Last week, Rajnath Singh had accused the erstwhile UPA government of hatching a "deep conspiracy" to frame Modi when he was the Gujarat Chief Minister in the Ishrat Jahan case. Singh had claimed that the previous regime had done a 'flip-flop' on the links of Ishrat Jahan with terror outfit LeT. 



Comments

Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the newindianexpress.com editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on newindianexpress.com are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of newindianexpress.com or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. newindianexpress.com reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp