NEW DELHI: A fire broke out on Sunday evening in a room of South Block, which houses the offices of the Prime Minister and Defence and External Affairs Ministries.
No one was injured in the incident, police said. The fire was reported around 5.55 PM in Room No 31 on the upper ground floor, situated near Gate No 8.
A total of 11 fire tenders were rushed to the spot. It took around 20 minutes for firefighters to douse the flames, which engulfed the furniture kept there, police said.
The room, where the fire broke out, is used for conferences by the Ministry of External Affairs. A few officials were present when the fire broke out.
The premises were evacuated immediately after the detecting the fire. It is suspected that the fire was caused by a short circuit, police said, adding an investigation is underway.