MUMBAI: With the fire officials still struggling to douse off the flames at the Deonar dumping ground, a special team from the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) will visit the site on Tuesday and meet key municipal officers.
They would then submit its report to the MoEF in a week.
Minister of State for Environment and Forests Prakash Javadekar yesterday said that a two-member special team will be sent to investigate the incident.
He blamed the fire on the callousness of the contractors in charge of managing the dump yard and said action would be taken against the violators.
The residents near the Deonar dumping ground continued to suffer for a third day in a row on Tuesday, as the poisonous smoke engulfed the entire area, affecting the air quality and making it difficult to breathe.
The fire that broke out at Mumbai's Deonar dumping ground earlier on Sunday, intensified later and spread to around two-three square kilometres.
A massive fire had broken out at the city's biggest dumping yard, spread across 326 acres, on January 27. It was brought under control after seven days of round-the-clock fire-fighting.