NEW DELHI: Following is the chronology of events relating to a coal block allocation scam case in which a Delhi court today convicted Jharkhand Ispat Pvt Ltd (JIPL) and its two directors R S Rungta and R C Rungta of the offences of criminal conspiracy and cheating.
This is the first verdict in a coal scam case.
* 2013: CBI registers a case against Jharkhand Ispat Pvt Ltd (JIPL) and others pertaining to joint allocation of North Dhadu Coal Block in Jharkhand.
* 2014: CBI files charge sheet against JIPL, R S Rungta, R C Rungta, Ramabatar Kedia and Naresh Mahto, for offences of conspiracy, cheating and forgery under IPC.
* Dec 18, 2014: Court takes cognisance on CBI's charge sheet, summons the five for January 14, 2015.
* Jan 14, 2015: JIPL Directors R S Rungta and R C Rungta granted bail by the court. CBI informs court that Ramabatar Kedia and Naresh Mahto have died.
* Feb 16: Court commences hearing arguments on framing of charges in the case.
* Mar 9: Court orders framing of charges against JIPL, R C Rungta and R S Rungta for offences under sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy), 420 (cheating), 467 (forgery of valuable security, will, etc), 468 (forgery for purpose of cheating) and 471 (using as genuine a forged document or electronic record) of IPC.
* Mar 16: Court frames charges against JIPL, Rungtas, who plead not guilty and claim trial.
* Jun 3: Court commences recording of evidence in the case.
* Oct 30: Court concludes recording of prosecution evidence during which 39 CBI witnesses are examined.
* Nov 20: Court commences recording of statement of those charged.
* Nov 21: Court concludes recording of statements.
* Nov 26: R S Rungta seeks to summon former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and ex-Minister of State for Coal Dasari Narayan Rao as witnesses in his defence.
* Dec 8: Court reserves order on plea to call Manmohan Singh and Dasari Narayan Rao as defence witnesses.
* Dec 23: Court dismisses plea to call former PM and ex-MoS as defence witnesses.
* Jan 21, 2016: Court concludes recording of defence evidence.
* Feb 11: Final arguments in the case begins.
* Feb 22: Court concludes hearing final arguments, reserves verdict.
* Mar 28: Court convicts JIPL, R S Rungta and R C Rungta of offences of criminal conspiracy and cheating.