PATNA: Six months after he was arrested for a road rage murder in Bihar, Rakesh Ranjan Yadav also known as Rocky Yadav is set to walk free after the Patna High Court granted him bail on Thursday. The victim’s father on urged the Bihar government to challenge his bail in the Supreme Court.
“It is very shocking for my family as to how Rocky, who had himself confessed to the crime before the police during interrogation, was granted bail. It is an injustice to my son,” he told IANS.
Here is all that you need to know about the case.
- Rocky Yadav had allegedly shot dead 19-year old Aditya Sachdeva, a student in Gaya, on May 8. A news report quoted Sachdev’s friend Ayush as saying that Yadav and his bodyguard started shooting in the air after he and Sachdev overtook their SUV. The friend claimed they halted the car after hearing gun shots, and an argument broke out between them. Yadav and the bodyguard punched them, he said, and a shot was fired due to which Sachdev died.
- Rocky went absconding after the incident. Bindi Yadav, his father, was arrested for helping his son keep away from the law and his bodyguard was sent to 14 days of judicial custody.
- Bindi Yadav claimed that Sachdeva was drunk and beat up his son, which is why he “accidentally” fired a licenced gun to defend himself.
- On May 9, BJP called for a shut down in Gaya in protest of this incident and Nitish Kumar formed a special investigation team to track Rocky.
- Rocky who was initially absconding, surrendered after almost 50 hours on May 10 and was remanded to 14-day judicial custody. Manorama Devi, his mother claimed her son was falsely accused, and got suspended from JDU for shielding her son.
- Through the investigations, the police revealed that Rocky had admitted to have gone up to the car with his bodyguard and had begun beating the men inside it. When the car started to drive away, Rocky then allegedly shot at it, and a bullet hit Sachdeva.
- Finally Rocky confessed to the killing of Sachdeva and was lodged in the Gaya Central Jail following his arrest.
- After serving six months, the Patna High Court today granted him bail.
- Suspended Janata Dal-United (JD-U) leader Manorama Devi has been on the run after an arrest warrant following seizure of liquor bottles from her residence had been issued. Rocky’s father, Bindi Yadav, also a politician, has been accused in serious criminal cases including those involving murder, kidnapping, dacoity and house-grabbing.