VISAKHAPATNAM/MALKANGIRI/BHUBANESWAR: In a major exchange of fire between the police personnel and Maoists in the interior forest areas on Andhra-Odisha Border (AOB), around 24 suspected Maoists were reportedly gunned down by the police forces. The encounter took place early this morning.
- Encounter death toll rises to 24.
- Unconfirmed reports suggested death toll is 23. Police said since the operation is being carried out in an inaccessible cut-off area they are finding it hard to get a clear picture on death toll.
- According to preliminary information, one body was washed away and 22 recovered.
- File pics of Maoists who were killed in encounter near malkangiri in andhra Orissa boarder today.
- Malkangirl SP Mitrabhanu Mohapatra: 40 to 50 Maoists were in the camp when the smart and coordinated operation was carried in Panasput area in Malkangiri district.
- The joint opertaion was carried in the cut-off area of Chitrakonda. Our forces are engaged in search operation.
- Reliable sources informed top leader Ramakrishna, who luckily escaped was present and they were having a meeting to boycott ensuing Panchayat polls in Odisha.
- Top Maoist leader Uday is suspected to have been killed. Andhra-Odisha Border (AOB) zonal committee member Uday was carrying a cash reward of Rs 2 lakh. Four AK 47, 3 SLRs and ten 303 rifles seized.
- Two Greyhound jawans injured during the crossfire in Beijing forest between Ramgarh and Panasput, shifted to Vishakhapatnam. Four AK-47 and 3 SLRs have been seized. Two State committee members Ganesh and Uday are believed to have been killed.
The operation was jointly carried by Greyhound force of AP and Special Operations Group (SOG) and District Voluntary Force (DVF) of Odisha. The joint operations team entered North East interior forest region of AOB and opened fire at the Maoists, at a place which is about 6-8 km from Bujipattu village. The two sides exchanged fire in which 18 Maoists were killed and a police officer sustained injuries.
Greyhounds of AP Police have been combing the area for the last two days after receipts of inputs on Maoists movements @NewIndianXpress— pridhviraj rayasam (@Raj_TNIE) October 24, 2016
Two policemen injured in the encounter have been flown to a hospital by helicopter. @NewIndianXpress— pridhviraj rayasam (@Raj_TNIE) October 24, 2016
"Around 18 Maoists died. We have to get confirmation if the dead include any top Maoist leader. We will take the help of locals to identify the bodies. Guns, kitbags and few personal belongings of the slain Maoists were recovered from the site of encounter," said a police officer from Visakhapatnam district police.
Bodies of Maoists are being brought to Chitrakonda.
DIG Visakha Range Ch Srikanth, Visakhapatnam SP Rahul Dev Sharma and few others are on the way to the spot.