Two more teenagers die, taking Kashmir toll to 78

Two more protestors were killed in clashes with security forces in Kashmir, taking the number of people who died in the ongoing unrest in the Valley to 78.

Published: 11th September 2016 03:40 AM  |   Last Updated: 11th September 2016 03:40 AM   |  A+A-


SRI NAGAR: Two more protestors were killed in clashes with security forces in Kashmir on Saturday, taking the number of people who died in the ongoing unrest in the Valley to 78.

Sayar Ahmad Sheikh, 18, was killed after being hit in the head by a tear gas shell fired by security forces in Tukroo village of South Kashmir’s Shopian district on Saturday morning.

In another incident, Yawar Mushtaq Dar, 18, a resident of South Kahsmir’s Anantnag district, was killed when security forces fired pellets at protestors in Batengoo.

Locals alleged that the police and CRPF personnel fired pellets at the funeral procession of the slain youth. “Many people participating in the funeral procession were also injured,” a source said.

A few locals claimed tear gas shells were lobbed at a government high school building in the area, resulting in fire. Police, however, accused miscreants of setting the school building ablaze.

With two fresh deaths, the death toll of people killed in ongoing unrest in the Valley triggered by the killing of 21-year-old Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani on July 8 has risen to 78, among the dead are two policemen. Over 10,000 civilians and more than 4,000 security men have also been injured in clashes between security personnel and youth during protests in the Valley in the last 64 days.

After the fresh killings, authorities imposed curfew-like restrictions in parts of South Kashmir to prevent people from taking to roads and staging demonstrations.

Divisional Commissioner of  Kashmir, Baseer Khan said restrictions were imposed in a few places in Srinagar as also in some towns in the Valley to maintain law and order.

The life in Kashmir Valley remained crippled for the 64th  day on Saturday due to shutdown called by separatists leaders, who have extended the strike to September 16.

Meanwhile, youth at many places in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley took to the roads and staged protest demonstrations. Chanting pro-freedom, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans, the protestors were demanding an end to civilian killings. They clashed with police and CRPF men and pelted stones at them.

The securitymen fired pellets and tear gas shells and resorted to baton charge to disperse the protestors.  Over 150 people sustained injuries during the clashes. Many of the injured were hit by pellets and tear gas shells.

A police spokesman said at least six incidents of stone pelting by protestors were reported from Anantnag, Kulgam and Shopian in South Kashmir and Sopore and Baramulla in north Kashmir.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp