Five deaths in four Eid days push Kashmir death toll to 85

Five people died on the four Eid days in Kashmir, one of them succumbing to injuries on Friday, taking the death toll of people killed in ongoing unrest in the Valley to 85.

Published: 17th September 2016 06:59 AM  |   Last Updated: 17th September 2016 06:59 AM   |  A+A-


An Indian policeman fires a teargas shell towards demonstrators during a protest against the recent killings in Kashmir, in Srinagar | Reuters

SRINAGAR: Five people died on the four Eid days in Kashmir, one of them succumbing to injuries on Friday, taking the death toll of people killed in ongoing unrest in the Valley to 85.

Thirteen-year-old Bashit Mukhtar of Pulwama succumbed to injuries at a Srinagar hospital on Friday.

The seventh grader had sustained pellet injuries when security forces opened fire on protestors in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district on September 5. Hundreds of people attended his funeral prayer in South Kashmir on Friday afternoon.

Another youth, Rasik Ahmed Bhat, 23, succumbed to injuries in a Srinagar hospital on Thursday. He was hit by a bullet in security forces firing at Zangalpora Kulgam on September 5 and was since then battling for life in the Srinagar hospital.

On the first day of Eid-ul-Adha, two youth were killed in security forces firing — one in north Kashmir’s Bandipora district and another in South Kashmir’s Shopian district.

On the second day of Eid-ul-Adha (September 14), a youth was allegedly beaten to death by Army at Hardhsiva, Sopore in North Kashmir.

With these deaths, the death toll of people killed in over two month long unrest in the Valley has risen to 85.  Over 11,000 civilians have also been injured in clashes between security personnel and youth during protests in the Valley since July 9.

Kashmir has been in turmoil after 21-year-old Burhan Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in South Kashmir on July 8.

The authorities, meanwhile, enforced curfew in Srinagar and other parts of the Valley to maintain law and order and prevent people from staging anti-India protests after Friday prayers. A police official said in view of the violence and stone pelting incidents on previous Fridays, curfew was imposed in parts of Srinagar and in the towns of Anantnag, Pulwama, Shopian, Baramulla and Handwara, on Friday.

No Friday prayers were allowed for the 10th consecutive week in many mosques and shrines in the Valley, including the historic Jamia Masjid in downtown Srinagar. The curbs and separatists-sponsored shutdown crippled life for the 70th consecutive day in the Valley. Kashmir has been under curfew and shutdown since July 9, when the unrest broke out. The separatists have extended the shutdown till September 22 without any evening break.

Defying curbs, people at many places in Valley came out on roads and staged anti-India protests. Chanting pro-freedom, pro-Pakistan and anti-India slogans, the protestors clashed with police and paramilitary personnel by pelting stones on them.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp