GUWAHATI: A group of Ministers in Mizoram will probe Thursday’s mob violence at the District and Sessions Court at Lunglei and at the residence of a civil judge there even as 30 people, including three minors, have been arrested by the police in connection with the incident.
Mizoram Home Minister R. Lalzirliana said the state government would hold a discussion on Monday and finalize the names of the Ministers for the probe panel.
“We will sit together with the Chief Minister (Lal Thanhawla), Chief Secretary and other senior officers tomorrow (Monday) and discuss all issues pertaining to the Lunglei incident,” Lalzirliana told Express from Mizoram capital Aizawl.
“A Ministerial Enquiry Commission will take over the probe. It will examine all aspects of the attack on the court buildings, ransacking of the court offices and the official residence of a civil judge,” he said.
He informed that 30 people, including three minors, had been arrested in connection with the incident. According to him, all the 27 adults were in judicial custody.
Mizoram, as also Arunachal Pradesh and Nagaland, besides Assam, fall under the jurisdiction of Gauhati High Court.
Lalzirliana said all the judicial magistrates had been withdrawn from the Lunglei court. Earlier, the Gauhati High Court had directed the withdrawal of the judges.
The violence that day broke out after the police had refused to parade a murder accused before the mob as demanded. The mob had attacked the court buildings and the residence of a judge and ransacked them. They also allegedly threatened the judicial officials. The 26-year-old accused was brought to the court for allegedly killing a man in Zohnuai locality in Lunglei district on August 27.
Gauhati High Court Chief Justice Ajit Singh had on Friday urged the Mizoram government to take stern action against the culprits.