Kashmir tense after police kill civilian protestor

THE situation in Kashmir Valley remained tense after Wednesday’s killing of a civilian protestor by security forces in south Kashmir.

Published: 03rd August 2017 08:17 AM  |   Last Updated: 03rd August 2017 08:17 AM   |  A+A-

Express News Service

SRINAGAR: THE situation in Kashmir Valley remained tense after Wednesday’s killing of a civilian protestor by security forces in south Kashmir.

The slain civilian has been identified as Akeel Ahmad Bhat. A bullet pierced his abdomen when security forces fired on civilians protesting the killing of the LeT’s Kashmir chief Abu Dujaana and his associate Arif Dar.

The duo were killed on Tuesday in an encounter with police in Pulwama district. Akeel Ahmad was the second civilian to be killed in police firing since Tuesday’s encounter.

Earlier, on Tuesday, a youngster Firdous Ahmad Bhat was killed in police firing. A dozen others were injured.

A pall of gloom descended on Akeel’s native village at Gabarpora when his body was brought there Wednesday.

Thousands of people attended his funeral prayer chanting of pro-Pakistan, pro-freedom and anti-India slogans.

Following his burial, the youth protesting his killing clashed with CRPF men outside their camp in the Haal village of Pulwama.

They pelted stones on the paramilitary personnel, who retaliated by firing tear smoke shells.
Youngesters in various other parts of the Valley also clashed with police. As a result, all educational institutions remained shut on Wednesday.

Anticipating a breakdown in law and order, authorities had imposed curfew-like restrictions in five police station areas in downtown Srinagar on Wednessday.

A shutdown called by separatists to protest the slaying of LeT militants and civilians affected normal life in other parts of the Valley, where restrictions were not imposed. Shops and educational institutions remained closed while public transport stayed off the roads.

Authorities had placed separatist leaders Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Mohammad Yasin Malik, who had called for the shutdown, under house arrest to prevent them from leading any protest demonstration.

Meanwhile, mobile internet services in the Valley, which were snapped on Tuesday after killing of Dujaana, were restored on Wednesday afternoon.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp