Gorakhpur hospital tragedy: Principal erred, says CM Yogi Adityanath as UP blame game begins

Adityanath claimed he was kept in the dark about the oxygen shortage during his visit on August 9, just ahead of the crisis that claimed 30 lives in 36 hours.

Published: 14th August 2017 08:08 AM  |   Last Updated: 14th August 2017 08:09 AM   |  A+A-

Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath addressing a press conference. (PTI)

Express News Service

LUCKNOW: It would be a “despicable and criminal” act if the cause for death of a total of 70 patients in Gorakhpur Baba Raghav Das Medical College was disruption in oxygen supply, said Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.

Several questions have been raised on the undue delay by authorities in releasing funds to clear pending bills of the firm supplying oxygen despite repeated reminders, both by the owner of the firm and the principal of the medical college.

Adityanath, who visited the Medical College on Sunday along with Union Health Minister JP Nadda and State Chief Secretary Rajiv Kumar, claimed he was kept in the dark about the oxygen shortage during his visit on August 9, just ahead of the crisis that claimed 30 lives in 36 hours.

The Chief Minister blamed the college principal RK Mishra for not raising the issue of supply shortage despite being asked repeatedly about the assistance needed to tackle. Mishra was suspended by Medical Education Minister Ashutosh Tandon for negligence on Saturday.

However, sources tell Express there has been a “major lapse” in release of funds by the authorities sitting back in Lucknow. It’s established through repeated correspondence between the gas supplier Pushpa Sales Company, Principal RK Mishra and authorities in medical education department (including Director General Medical Education) that they were alerted a number of times to release the funds for payment of bills. But no positive response or action came through.

“The principal is believed to have written at least three letters – two in July and the last on August 1 – to the government,” added sources. “He is also believed to have raised the issue during a video conference with senior officials at Lucknow. But the funds were released only on August 5.” The payment, however, was made to the supplier only on August 11 — six days after it came.

Stay up to date on all the latest Nation news with The New Indian Express App. Download now


Disclaimer : We respect your thoughts and views! But we need to be judicious while moderating your comments. All the comments will be moderated by the editorial. Abstain from posting comments that are obscene, defamatory or inflammatory, and do not indulge in personal attacks. Try to avoid outside hyperlinks inside the comment. Help us delete comments that do not follow these guidelines.

The views expressed in comments published on are those of the comment writers alone. They do not represent the views or opinions of or its staff, nor do they represent the views or opinions of The New Indian Express Group, or any entity of, or affiliated with, The New Indian Express Group. reserves the right to take any or all comments down at any time.

flipboard facebook twitter whatsapp